Procedure to cancel the marriage registration

In 2012 i did an engagement and to apply for my wife visa i did registration marriage. However as per Hindu marriage we are not married at all in temple. After 6 months the relation broke and being an NRI i am staying in Dubai and girl staying in Gujarat. Its been 5 years girl started demanding huge sum of money and not agreeing for divorce. Can someone guide me how the procedure of registration marriage cancellation works in India?

Answers (5)

Now u have just one option and that is divorce from the court Or by registered divorce and definitely girl will ask allimony or maintenance from u .As she can not do anything as u both r not staying together for long time so she cannot file sec 498 A against u.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

To cancel marriage registration you can file suite for cancellation of marriage registration. Where the marriage is registered. You say that your marriage is not done according to Hindu religion you can prove that in court.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Dear sir
The appropriate remedy available to you is to apply for divorce. Agreed that your marriage was not solemnised as per the rights and rituals yet you ad your wife did enter into a registered marriage.

You may contact me for further guidance.

As per your case,
You just registered your marriage and you didn't consume your marriage or never did ritual things at the time of marriage.
So, therefore you can apply for a voidable your marriage in concern court.

It can not be evoked bec the process of registration is after by the marriage. If u registered ur marrige it means ur registered after ur marriage so the way is only divorse. There is marrige proof is also attached during marriage registration so

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My husband working in SBI bank as trainee officer & I am working in company.My husband has made 24 month agreement with my landlord through bak i.…

Read More

My friend (girl) had married her about 1.5 months ago, she also told the house without informing her and did not receive any documents at her house. S…

Read More

Being a hindu, I got ex party order of divorce on Mar 14 and remarried on Jan 15. If notice not served to Ex-wife, is there any possibilities to cance…

Read More

Hi, I was engaged to a girl on 7th March. It was an arranged marriage and all the things went real well. Last week, I found out that the girl is only …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue