Procedure to apply for divorce in India as wife settled abroad.

I got married on 18th Feb 2017 and my wife separated on 9th April 2017 asking for divorce all of sudden without any arguments or reason. After a wait for almost a year when I called for filing divorce her brother told that she has left for abroad and divorce is not required, and I should not ask for it. I am not able to travel abroad as visa will not be granted without divorce.

Answers (3)

73 votes

sir, you can able to file a divorce petition in your jurisdictional matrimonial court for divorce. with out divorce from competent court wedlock is not dissolve and you can't escape from responsibility.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

112 votes

First ascertain abroad address of your wife. Then you can issue the legal notice. Their after based upon reply, u can decide. Alternatively, you can also file a case for divorce, after issueing legal notice to the last known address or parents address, later on, knowing about reply/status. U can decide what can be done legally.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
146 votes

File divorce case in India and show her abroad address and request to issue notice through mail or Indian embassy. If she not appeared in spite of receipt of court notice, then court will grant divorce if prove your case

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles