maintenance for wife and son- husband files divorce

Hi,i'm married for 5 yrs and i'm a working women with my salary less than my husband (about half). i have almost 4yr old son and i'm staying in my parents house for last 3 yr(from the time my son was born) due to fight between me and my husband.Now he wants divorce and i don't. Hence i'm not going for mutual consent divorce. if he applies for challenge divorce, will i be eligible for maintenance for myself and for my son? If yes then how much i can claim for?

Answers (1)

309 votes
Yes of course, you are entitled to maintenance for yourself and your child, as well as alimony, even if the case is filed by your husband. The quantum will depend upon your earnings, his earnings, your lifestyle while living together, cost of education and welfare of the child.

However you can claim the sky but the court will allow only what is reasonable in the circumstances.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles