Legal procedure to get divorce & get custody of child

In Divorce Law
Hello sir, My wife use to chat with his brother friend.. He is not blood related.. whenever I go to office, she use to talk with him and share photo to him through whatsup.. we got married at March 2017.. After 3 months only I noticed it.. due to his pregnant I did not went for divorce because if go to Court, I thought court will ask me to wait till child birth.. At the time of marriage, she said that he his brother friend.. I thought it's good brother and sister relationship.. but the way of message he sent with wrong words.. I could not able to digest the way he message to my wife and she send photo to him by wearing nighty. Really I feel to death. But for my parents no one is there to help them.. Whether any possible to get divorce for me.. Please suggest me sir.. My child born on 29 Dec 2017.. Atleast any pssoible to get my daughter to me itself.

Answers (4)

98 votes

Do you suspect your wife's fidelity?
Is your child born to you?
If you intend to get separated on account of her illicit intimacy with another man, then a petition can be filed under S.13(1)((i) which states, that after the solemnization of the marriage, had voluntary sexual intercourse with any person other than the spouse.
However, if you are of firm opinion that the child is not born to you, a petition can be filed under S.12(d) which states that the wife was pregnant at the time of marriage by some other person other than the petitioner. The petiton for annulling the marriage has to be filed within one year of marriage.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

183 votes

I can understand your situation. Feeling sorry for bad marriage life as well. However, simply suspicion (doubt) alone is not enough for getting divorce. You need to prove that your wife is having extra marital affair with some one. If you are able to prove it by producing evidence, then you can obtain on ground of adultery.

With regard to child custody, the Court will consider the welfare of the child predominantly. You have stated that your child is just one month old and that too baby girl, it is pretty difficult to get the custody of child before her age of 5 years. Anyways, you can say that it will be detrimental to the baby's future if the mohter's character is not good.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
119 votes

It seems you got married in the year 2017 only and in the meantime your wife got conceived . Normally you can not file divorce petition within one year from the date of marriage. Having said that there are exceptions to the said rule. it is very clear that you are doubting about the integrity of your wife. You should have talked to her and instead of that you are keeping a secret watch about her conduct. It was partly your mistake as well. It is not too late, that in the interest of child you better thrash out all the nagging issues with your wife by engaging her one to one talk. If it is not fruitful you can also seek the help of common friends or relatives. But if you are not interested then you have no option but to go to court to seek divorce and to prove your charges as well to convince the court.

329 votes

From what you say, your wife maybe having an affair with the friend. Did you speak to your wife about it? What is the explanation given by your wife? You must be sure that there is an affair and you must collect enough evidence about the affair. If you can establish that your wife is having an affair, you can file for divorce. Regarding custody of the child, the child is too small and you may not get totally custody but only visitation rights. If you are in Chennai, you may contact me for further detailed advice.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles