Legal procedure for contested divorce

I got married on 1st March 2017 in India. My sister in law used to treat me badly before marriage, recording my phone conversations and presenting facts in front of her brother to malign my image. Since this incident happened 1 month prior to our marriage date, I let it go. She used to taunt me and pass comments post marriage as well. I had to stop talking to her. Post marriage, my husband and I moved to US and he used to not treat me properly(left me alone while I was sick, used to drink a lot, sit outside watching tv for long hours, not talk much, etc.) He just used to post pics on his social account and used me for it.. When I conveyed my concerns to him, he said he will take care of it but to no avail. I returned back to India since I had left my job earlier due to marriage, now he started emailing and threatening me for divorce. I don't want to continue this relationship either due to breach of trust. Could you please provide suggestions for my case ?

Answers (1)

189 votes

Assuming that you are a housewife and not employed, you are entitled to maintenance and separate house. You both can file for mutual consent divorce after finalising your maintenance and residence issue.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I would like to separate from my wife as I do not feel comfortable around her anymore. There being compatibility issues. She is living with my son (7y…

Read More

If the husband doesn't give mutual divorce consent then how to get the separation? Husband is cheating on wife for another girl. They have a child…

Read More

My brother's wife is at her parents home for last 2 years. My brother needs Divorce from her. But she is demanding huge amount to accept for divor…

Read More

I had a love marriage 6 years back without parents support and from day 1 I am facing his drinking problem, also he used to hit me back but then I nev…

Read More