quesIs staying separate for 6 months a valid ground for divorce?

My husband refuses to stay with me since the past 3-4 months. This happened after we moved out of my in-laws home post a dispute which was settled by an NGO deciding that we should stay separately. We took a flat on rent where my husband stayed with me for 10 days only and then shifted to a PG after picking up a fight with me.


I called the Police and we went through medical tests on order of the Police wherein I has a miscarriage because of the stress. What should i do now? I want to stay with my husband.


Can my husband file a Divorce case on ground that we are staying separate since 6 months?


  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans


      First of all, no your husband cannot file a Divorce Petition on the ground that you both have been staying separately for past 6 months. 


      As you have stated that you want to stay with your husband, the legal recourse available to you is to file a petition for restitution of conjugal rights under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act in the Family Court and get a decree in your favour.


      Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955 has been explained below for your understanding:


      Section 9. Restitution of conjugal rights - When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights and the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly.


      Please also note that where a question arises whether there has been reasonable excuse for withdrawal from the society, the burden of proving reasonable excuse shall be on the person who has withdrawn from the society (your husband in this case).


      There are other coercive ways as well which shall include registering complaint in the women cell, however we would suggest you to adopt the former approach and in case the same fails, go for the latter.


    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    We were mutually separated in June 2014 and in October 2015 she has started thinking…

    I want to take divorce from my wife who used me only as money earning…
    My divorce case is pending in the district court since the last five years. I…
    I have one question to ask is it possible to get mutual divorce through power…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly