Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Is second marriage possible without divorcing first wife?

I am a 32 year old sikh. 7 years of marriage and we don’t have baby my wife has some problem. She is also very abusive and some times she ia very aggressive to even kill me. From 7 months i have met a girl and we want to marry but my divorce case is pending. We love each other ao much. In this situation what should we do? Live in is the solution or marry ? My wife is not giving divorce easily.. time is passing only my life become hell now my parents life too. Please help me.

Answers (4)

Dear Sir,
As your marriage is governed by the provisions of Hindu Marriage Act and you cannot enter into second marriage without getting divorce from your first legally wedded wife. As you stated that your wife is abusive and aggressive in nature which itself amounts to cruelty, thus, a valid ground for divorce. You may stay in a live-in with another girl.

You may contact me for any further assistance.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Since how long your divorce case is pending? And what grounds have been taken by you in your divorce petition, kindly let me know regarding the period of pendency and grounds of divorce. Indian law does'nt allow a married person to for live-in or second marriage untill he gets the divorce fro the first wife. In case you will start live-in your wife can file a case adultry against you. It is your right to get divorce in case there is irreparable break-down of marriage. So i would suggest to not start live-in relation untill you get divorce from the first wife.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience

One cannot marry unless he/she has been legally divorced. Any unwarranted action on your part might jeopardize your divorce case , hence do consult your lawyer before u take any step further. For any further query you may contact me.

You cannot get married without getting a divorce. It’s a criminal offence.Only a Muslim can have upto 4 wives. Only once the divorce is obtained can you get married again. Please credited your divorce proceedings.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 19999
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 999
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 25000
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 9999
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

 filed a contested divorce against my husband on family court Hindu marriage act of cruelty 2years passed away I couldn't make this a mutual …

Read More

My husband harrass me mentally and few times physically in last 20 yrs of our marriage. Now I want divorce from him. He is ready for divorce but don&#…

Read More

I am from Hindu family. My parents want to make a will on my name they are about 67 years old. But in mean time my wife want to give me a divorce.. If…

Read More

How i apply divorce from my husband I m a house wife 10 years & my husband is always taking loan from outside & where he spend I don't kno…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue