husband took away child- wife seeking divorce

my husband who was living with me in my parents home has taken away my 4 year old daughter while i was in Delhi for my exam of judiciary on 10th June 2013. Our relationship is not good and i came to my parents home because of that but he too accompanied me. My parents were helping him in every possible way. when he felt that i will not agree to be with him, he slowly planned and when I was away and my mother was alone,he took away the child. Kindly tell me the way out so that very first I can get my child's custody. I cannot live with this man anymore but i am worried about my child.

Answers (1)

206 votes
You can file a writ petition seeking a writ in the nature of habeas corpus from the High Court and gain immediate custody of your daughter. Since you are still his wife you may seek necessary protection for yourself and your daughter under the Domestic Violence Act.

This way he will be restrained from interfering in your lives and from taking away your daughter ever again without acknowledgment. If marriage has been consummated then you can't seek annulment. It is possible only by way regular divorce u/s 13 of Hindu Marriage Act or mutual consent u/s 13 B, provided he is also willing to go on his way. Both the parties should have stayed separately for at least one year to move such a petition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles