How to initiate divorce proceedings

im from marraige was soleminized six months ago at the time of marriage they have given false information about age and dob.can i file for divorce on this facts im having proof to prove they are saying we are having sufficient property there is ni need to depend on salry im a graduate im unable to stay with the person who is incapable of doing work. im staying separetly from him from 3months there is no compatability between us i have commited suicide attempt once in their home. can i file for divorce on what grounds cam i file for divorce please give me necesary guidance. hindu marriage act.

Answers (5)

121 votes


You can file for divorce only when you complete 1 year of your marriage. Wait for another six months and initiate the divorce process. Once you finish 1 year, try to convince your husband for a mutual consent divorce which will be granted in 6 months else file divorce petition on cruelty ground.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

184 votes

Dear Client,
You will file petition for divorce at the place where you have been residing. Engage an expert Legal adviser who has been doing practise in family cases. He will guide the grounds on which divorce petition will be filed.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
202 votes

You can file a case for divorce on the grounds of cheating and cruelty.
Since your marriage was solemnized 6 months ago, in order to file a petition for divorce, technically you can file only after a period of 1 year from date of marriage. However we can try to convince the judge under section 14 of Hindu marriage act to admit the petition and grant divorce on or after the completion of 1 year of marriage .

294 votes

Yes, You can file the divorce case under the Hindu Marriage Act as the marriage was performed by playing fraud and misleading you regarding the date of birth it amounts to cheating, hence divorce petition can be filed before the family court.

195 votes

Actually you can't file divorce within one year of marriage. But under some exceptional hardship reason you can file dovorce. No where you did not mentioned actual reason for taking divorce. If you really want to file divorce contact us.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles