How much time does mutual divorce take and what procedure?

We are married for 4 years now. We wanted to know the procedure for mutual divorce and how much time does it take?


If you and your spouse have reached an understanding with regard to the terms and conditions of the divorce in respect of maintenance amount,child custody,property division, etc, you can file a petition for mutual consent divorce in the district family court.The petition for mutual consent divorce shall be drafted based on the terms and conditions decided between the two of you.

Petition for mutual consent divorce can be filed at any of the following place:-
•    Place where marriage had taken place
•    Place where husband and wife last resided together.
•    Place where wife is residing at the time of filing of the petition.

As per the Hindu Marriage Act such petition can be moved jointly by both the parties under Section 13B of the Act on the grounds that:
•    have been living separately for a period of one year or more,
•    have not been able to live together and
•    have mutually agreed that the marriage should be dissolved.

The Court shall then record the joint statement of the parties and pass a first motion order giving a time period of 6 months to the parties to resolve their dispute, but in case the parties are unable to resolve the issues within the stipulated time, the Court shall pass a decree of Divorce.

Answers (2)

It takes 6 months and two motions.

In first motion the lawyer will file a petition signed by both parties in court. Court will accept it. After this a second motion is filed after 6 months and divorce is final.

Your presence will be required for two hearings in court. It is a hassle free process.

Please contact for future course.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Dear queriat.
Mutual divorce is the better form of divorce. It takes two appearances before the court . First appearance is the first motion when you appear and record your statememt that you are agreeing on to a mutual divorce due ti irreconciliable differences bw the both of u. Then you appear after 6 months for the second motion and the divorce is granted. You can stretch the divorce till 18mnths after which the court is not inclined to grant a divorce. Seek a lawyers advice in person. Regards

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Hi, I had filed mutual petition for divorce 4 months back. Next hiring is 4th Jan '17. We purchased a property i.e. row house in year 2014 the pro…

Read More

The below is the status of y sister's divorce case. kindly tell us whether she should go to the court on the mentioned date or not. she need divor…

Read More

We are living separately for 4months, wanted to know the procedure for mutual divorce.…

Read More

My friend is Christian. He got married in 2014. Last two years he is living separately. His wife asked him and wrote in a bond paper that his body is …

Read More