Clarification on procedure to file for divorce

How many much time and money does it take to file and get a divorce. What's the legal procedure? How do lawyers charge for it? Is it one off lump sump amount?

Answers (4)

103 votes

if you and your wife both wants divorce then you can file divorce under mutual consent. In that case there would be only two motions in family court. A Joint petition would be filed by you both only after one year of you marriage and decree would be passed in maximum 6 month.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

305 votes

As per law the prescribed period is 6 months from the date of filing the Divorce Petition. However normally takes between one to years depending on the competency of Advocate. In case of an Advocate whose is not so versed in such matters the time may gone to more than the period as mentioned above, even to decades.
The fees could be on daily basis Or on lump sum basis

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
315 votes

It depends how want to take divorce
...if it's with the mutual consent of both parties then it will take around 6 months and fee from 15 -30 thousands depending upon the advocate and rest is according to the situation

272 votes

Sir. Marriage hone ek saal baad divorce petition file Kar sakte hai...Fees ka koi criteria nahi hai...According to advicates fees depend karti hai...aap fees one time pay Kar sakte hai ya lump sum bhi payment Kar sakte hai..

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles