Clarification on grounds for divorce

I married a married man with wife and a child 8 years back.From the very first day of our marriage I am physically and mentally abused. I tried leaving him for multiple times but everytime he did false promises and brought me back. I do not want to take this relationship forward any more. Please let me know how can I get a divorce and what consequences I can face?

You can easily file a divorce petition before the competent legal authority. This would be a contested divorce matter. The grounds are very good from your side. Hope you will get the decree of divorce very soon. Other than that you can even claim for alimony also.

If both husband and wife agreed for divorce then file a joint petition for divorce by mutual consent under section 13B of the Hindu marriage Act, 1955. And minimum one year separation is required for filing mutual consent divorce petition.

In mutual consent divorce two important things are child custody and alimony matter , every thing is fixed by both parties free consent.
Mutual consent divorce takes 6 months time. And cooling period for mutual consent divorce is 6 months.
For mutual consent divorce both the parties required to wait one year from the date of marriage.
Otherwise you can file contested divorced petition before the court.
And without detail discussion proper consult is not possible.

It seems you are a lady. You can easily file a suit for dissolution of marriage before the court of your jurisdiction. Before that talk to your husband of he is willing to divorce you, then file divorce on mutual consent which is less expensive and fast.