Clarification on grounds for divorce

I married a married man with wife and a child 8 years back.From the very first day of our marriage I am physically and mentally abused. I tried leaving him for multiple times but everytime he did false promises and brought me back. I do not want to take this relationship forward any more. Please let me know how can I get a divorce and what consequences I can face?

Answers (3)

You can easily file a divorce petition before the competent legal authority. This would be a contested divorce matter. The grounds are very good from your side. Hope you will get the decree of divorce very soon. Other than that you can even claim for alimony also.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

If both husband and wife agreed for divorce then file a joint petition for divorce by mutual consent under section 13B of the Hindu marriage Act, 1955. And minimum one year separation is required for filing mutual consent divorce petition.

In mutual consent divorce two important things are child custody and alimony matter , every thing is fixed by both parties free consent.
Mutual consent divorce takes 6 months time. And cooling period for mutual consent divorce is 6 months.
For mutual consent divorce both the parties required to wait one year from the date of marriage.
Otherwise you can file contested divorced petition before the court.
And without detail discussion proper consult is not possible.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

It seems you are a lady. You can easily file a suit for dissolution of marriage before the court of your jurisdiction. Before that talk to your husband of he is willing to divorce you, then file divorce on mutual consent which is less expensive and fast.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My frnd hindu her marraige solomonise spcile marrage on District Reg.Office At prsent he taking divorce her wife without any docter priscription she i…

Read More

m staying here in Chandigarh from December 2016.nd my husband is not giving any mentainence to me and my daughter who is id my parents.I want to take …

Read More

Hi, One of my best friends from pune ( orphan ) was forcefully married by his guardians with 8 years elder woman than him, and forced him to stay as &…

Read More

Hello I have applied for divorce on adultery ground in district court in bangalore. And in same court i filled DNA petition on paternity. Now my wife …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue