Clarification on grounds for divorce

I have got register marriage to my boyfriend in the month of june now he is troubling me and asking for divorce what step can i take to subject him to punishment?

Answers (4)

94 votes

Why do you have to punish him? Ask the reason for requesting you for divorce. Has the marriage solemnized? If you have married only in June 2017, you have not yet completed 1 year of marriage and divorce cannot be applied. You can call me after 4.30 PM for further clarifications

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

126 votes

Dear Madam,
You have not mentioned why your friend troubling for divorce, without any reason nobody will trouble, there may be dowry issue, parents forcing him to take divorce or he want to marry someone, or he have relationship with someone, you plz mention reason accordingly you have solution. if he has forcing for divorce for dowry you can register FIR against him.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
344 votes

In the First instance divorce petition cannot be filed within a year of marriage. But some rarest cases are there it can be filed withing a year of marriage. As you told the marriage is registered in the June. There should be one year separation.

you are not informed here that what kind of harassment you are facing.

In case if you want husband you can file the restitution of conjugal right. Or in case if you want to divorce you need to explain the harassment facing by you while submitting the divorce. In divorce case order of punishment will not passing.

Apart from this you have another alternative that is filing of the Case under D V Act. If the Violence is proved he will get punishment.

251 votes

I received your mail just before 10minutes.You can book domestic of violence Act in the magistrate court. You can lodge police complaint in the jurisdictional police station for dowery harassment. You can also book restitution of conjugal right in family court.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles