Cancellation of Marriage Certificate from Marriage Registrar

I have now Divorce decree with me. what is the procedure to cancel the Marriage Certificate through Marriage Registrar? Marriage Registrar is saying that he will write by Hand on the Marriage certificate that as per divorce decree marriage certificate is cancelled! Is there any guidelines, how the Marriage Registrar should do correctly Cancellation of Marriage Certificate. I mean, On a paper I need that specific Marriage certificate with number xxx is cancelled as per divorce decree dated xxx issued by court xx. Please share the format. which needs to be signed by Marriage Registrar. Thank you alot for the kind help.

Answers (2)

91 votes

Sir, Do one thing, first obtain certified copy of the judgment and decree of divorce case, then make a request letter with enclosing of judgment and decree, that request to the sub-registrar for cancel the marriage certificate as per the judgment and decree of the court. On your request the sub-registrar cancel it, otherwise make an application to same court after expiry of appeal period with stating that direct the sub-registrar to cancel the marriage certificate. This is the way you can approach the concern authority to cancel the marriage certificate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

137 votes

Hi...there is no exact format for cancellations of marriage certificate .For cancellation of marriage certificate you have to file a file application before the same authority where you got the certificate.
Thank you

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli
2 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles

Related Articles