Can I adopt child of my wife from her previous marriage

The court granted an exparte divorce to my wife who was having a 3 year old girl child from her last marriage. The father who is a drunkard was cruel both to the child as well as his wife. He never cared for the child. Since the child's birth, the child has been under the custody of my wife only. Even during the divorce proceedings the father never ever appeared at the court or contacted. Under these circumstances can I adopt the child (now 11 yrs old) as my daughter? All the needs and requirements of the child is being met by me as if she is my own biological daughter.

The consent of biological father of child is indispensable regardless of whether he has discharged or not his responsibilities as a father. She cannot be adopted without his consent.

The consent of the father is a must. Only then can the Deed of adoption be prepared wherein the natural/biological parents give the child to you for adoption.