Can a wife separate husband from his parents when he is a single son

I was married 1 Year ago. 6 months wedding life was fine. After 6 months my wife started fighting with her in-laws (My Parents) (Small Small fights). From past 4 months she is not with me. She went to her parents place. When we call her back she demands for a separate house. But i am only child to my parents (No Siblings) so its my duty to take care of my parents during their end period of life. Now my parents are 54 & 57 years old. We stay in our own house in Bangalore. Now if she asks for a separate house i need to maintain 2 houses where monthly expenditure will go high my 40K which i feel unwanted & unnecessary & i cant bare too with what i earn monthly. I myself dont like to stay separate leaving my parents as my relatives and all will spit on my face that i left my parents who gave birth & raised me for 30 years. Plz let me know whether a wife has rights to ask to stay separately without inlaws ???

Answers (3)

Dear Sir,
Your wife has no legal right or any other right to separate you from your parents whether you are single son or otherwise. If she is not agreeing to stay along with your parents then you may seek divorce without alimony to her.

Indian Court grants divorce to man whose wife refused to live with in-laws
India’s supreme court has granted a divorce to a man on the grounds of “cruelty” after his wife refused to share a home with her in-laws, effectively ruling that a married woman must live with her husband’s family.
Justice Anil R Dave, one of the the most senior judges in India, said the wife’s desire to leave her in-laws’ home was inspired by “western thought” and violated traditional values of Indian Hindus.
“In normal circumstances, a wife is expected to be with the family of the husband after the marriage,” stated the supreme court ruling, which also dismissed the wife’s attempt to kill herself as a plot to “torture” her husband and his relatives.
There is no legal obligation for men to live with their parents, so the ruling still allows couples to live independently if men choose to set up a separate home. But the case had been seen as a test, pitting the rights of women against traditional Hindu values.
Activists said the ruling left millions of women who were in unhappy marriages or with abusive husbands even more vulnerable.
“If you look at the language the court has used, it’s very regressive,” said Tenzing Chusang, from the Women’s Rights Initiative, a lawyers’ collective. “If you make the grounds of divorce very lenient for men, it makes the woman very vulnerable.”
Divorce in India carries a huge stigma: there are few financial provisions for divorced women, and little legal support.
Chusang said: “In India there’s no such thing as shared matrimonial property or equal division of assets. All she gets if the husband divorces her, and that too after years of litigation, is a minimal maintenance payment. What can she do? She has to stay.”
The judge said the wife’s claims that her husband was having an affair were fabricated, and that her suicide attempt was a devious attempt to manipulate her husband’s family.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

As per new guideline, the wife cannot seek separate residence. It is also observed that, along with the wife it is the duty of son to look after his aged parents. Apart from all it is the morel obligation also. Therefore she cant resist all this.

You contact any advocate or interested contact us,

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

in this case the wife cannot claim a separate house, in this case it is better you file a case for restitution of conjugal rights or for divorce, asking for a separate house and to stay away from parents is a cruelty on basis of which the court can grant divorce, better to ask her if she intends to join you to lead married life and if she refuses then better to take legal steps.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Can husband and wife stay separately without taking divorce. What if husband wants divorce and wife doesn't want divorce. Can wife has legal right…

Read More

It was 6 months of my marriage life.iam not at all interested in the marriage life.I said the same to my husband.can i file divorce case .when can i g…

Read More

Hi, My husband wants to have divorce with me, I have a 6 month child too. Just wanted to check on my rights on permanent and monthly alimony. Also how…

Read More

Married in 2008 with a Hindu. Now in 2014 husband is saying that he has married a Muslim girl and has a baby with her. He is saying he is converted to…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue