Can a wife claim maintenance if she is working

16-Apr-2023 (In Divorce Law)
My wife has done BCA and MBA from reputed colleges..before and till the time she left she was working.. but now she filed maintenance petition at her matrimonial house kishangarh..I am having all her documents related to her educational qualification and some salary slips of previous organisations and joining letter of current organisation.. Is she eligible for maintenance because she intentionally left the job?? Please tell mr
Answers (4)

Answer #1
648 votes
This is my following response to you:
1. You could collect the evidences of your wife that she has left her job without any reason;
2. You could get a written statement from her employees i.e. the HR department, the reason for leaving the job (if she has a valid reason);
3. Nonetheless the laws are very much in favour of women, and you are liable to pay her maintenance;
4. But the least you could try is that your earnings are less and therefore you cant afford heavy maintenance;
5. You could file a petition in HC and get the maintenance reduced.
People also ask

How do I prove my wife is working in a maintenance case?

Your wife will not be entitled if she is earning enough money to support herself. Both of you will need to submit an income affidavit to the court, wherein you must disclose your assets, liabilities and other relevant information. It is illegal to give false information.

Is an earning wife entitled for maintenance?

The Delhi High Court ruled that even if a woman is highly educated and has earned income after marriage, she cannot claim maintenance from her husband if she has not disclosed her true income. 12-Sept-2023

Can a working wife claim alimony?

In India, a woman who is working after a divorce has the right to receive alimony, depending on her lifestyle, position, and status in society.

Answer #2
695 votes
Sir, working and well earning woman not entitled for maintenance.but now she is not working so that could be reason for granting maintenance. if she left your house without valid reason then you should be file restitution of conjugal right petition in family court under hindu marriage Act. If she was working then prove all merit facts into court and total
deny maintenance in your say. Try to settle down all issues in councilling. Because it might be possible that she will file domestic violence case or 498A case against try to settle matter and talk to her all relatives about her behaviour.records her all calls. And try to defend by your side.

Answer #3
778 votes
If she is well educated and capable to earn money. If she intentionally left the job, to show her intention to t court. If she is having responsibility of t child then u can’t say she left the job intentionally. Show her qualification to the judge it will be helpful for ur defence.
Answer #4
143 votes
Section 125 of 1973 Code of Criminal Procedure This provision is applicable to all Indians, regardless of religion. This section allows a woman who is not able to support herself, even if she works, to claim maintenance from her spouse.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."