Will Uploading pictures without someone's consent be a cyber crime?

02-Nov-2023 (In Criminal Law)
I was cheated and dumped by a girl ..past week I messaged her asking only why she did this to me?? ..she called the police and complained that I am calling messaging her and stalking and threatening her...police threatened me and warned me not to do so again..they did not registered an fir.. Now I wants to upload all our photos on Facebook ...is uploading photos violation of any law?? Photos does not contain any obscene things...... Plzzz help me

Answer #1
In India, the act of using someone's pictures without their permission or posting pictures without their consent can potentially infringe upon their right to privacy. The right to privacy is protected under Article 21 of the Constitution of India. Aggrieved individuals may file a writ petition and seek civil remedies for the unauthorized use of their pictures. This can include seeking an injunction to prevent the use of the pictures or seeking compensation for any harm caused by the unauthorized use.

Additionally, there are certain provisions within the Information Technology Act, of 2000, and the Indian Penal Code, of 1860, that can be applicable in such cases.

Under the Information Technology Act, 2000 (IT Act) the provisions that can be used to prosecute individuals who post pictures without consent are:

1. Section 66E of the IT Act - deals with the violation of privacy by capturing, publishing or transmitting an image of a private area of any person without his or her consent. For the same, the punishment prescribed is either three years in prison or a fine of not more than two lakh rupees, or both.

2. Section 67 of the IT Act – deals with publishing or transmitting obscene material in electronic form where obscene material is any material which is lascivious or appeals to the prurient interest or if its effect is such as to tend to deprave and corrupt persons. The first conviction carries a sentence of up to three years in prison and a fine of up to five lakh rupees, with subsequent convictions carrying a sentence of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to ten lakh rupees.

Under the Indian Penal Code, 1860 (IPC) the provisions that can be used to prosecute individuals who post pictures without consent are:

1. Section 354C of the IPC - deals with the offence of voyeurism. It is an act of watching, capturing, or recording images of a person engaged in a private act in circumstances where that person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy, without their consent. It is worthwhile to note that where the victim consents to the capture of the images or any act, but not to their dissemination to third persons and where such image or act is disseminated, such dissemination shall be considered an offence under this section.
The punishment for the same is imprisonment for a term of not less than one year but may extend up to three years, and/or a fine.

2. Section 509 of the IPC - deals with the act of intentionally insulting the modesty of a woman by word, gesture, or act. This section can be applicable in cases where pictures are used or posted without a woman's consent, leading to harassment or insult. It is punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three years and also with fine.

3. Section 500 of the IPC – deals with the offence of defamation. This section prohibits creating or sharing statements or representations, in any form, that are believed to harm a person's reputation. To commit an offence under this section, it is essential that the intention to harm someone's reputation must exist. A person found guilty of this offence can face up to two years of simple imprisonment, a fine, or both.

The use of pictures without permission can have serious consequences and individuals should always obtain consent before using someone else's pictures.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato