What to do if my ex boyfriend is harassing and blackmailing me

20-Apr-2023 (In Criminal Law)
My friend was in a relationship with a guy. At first he was great and she even thought she will marry him. Now he's changed. He drinks and smokes. Parties all night. Thinks she's too backward. He abuses her and mentally tortures her. This lead to their break up a few months ago. But now he blackmails her. She is afraid it will bring shame to her family. Recently he even kicked her and beat her. What help can I get for her that won't involve her parents. She is 23 years old. I'm desperately trying to help her!
Answers (5)

Answer #1
592 votes
I think after going through your query the options your friend is having is she can file criminal complaint through advocate and you have not clearly mentioned regarding how her boyfriend is blackmailing her. if he is in possession of her photos or something like that then she has ample remedies available under the law and he will regret his wrongdoing.
He can be prosecuted under Indian Penal Code and Information Technology Act and he wont get the bail also.

Answer #2
865 votes
Dear, According to Indian Penal Code their is many type of harassment.But i don't know which type of harassing he is doing. if he is harassing your friend , In this condition you can lodge an FIR against him, And police will make an inquiry and register an FIR.
Answer #3
508 votes
Kindly seek the help of police to get protection. you could also contact an advocate to file a case for protection and/or harassment. It would also be advisable to seek the stated help or any other help that you may deem correct before any incident occurs.
Answer #4
898 votes
First of all block the man from contacting you in any way. Then please go to the Mahila Police Station of the area where the girl is living and get a complaint registered under Section 319, Section 503/ 506 of the Indian Penal Code against this man. Section 319 defines Hurt, Section 503 is Criminal Intimidation and Section 506 is the Punishment prescribed for the criminal intimidation. Once you get a complaint registered the concerned Police Station will take immediate action shall reprimand the man in case he tries to harass the girl.
Answer #5
282 votes
When faced with the distressing situation of being blackmailed or harassed by an ex-boyfriend, it's crucial to take appropriate steps to protect yourself and seek legal assistance if necessary. Here's what you can do:
  1. Stay Calm and Document Evidence: Keep records of all communication, including text messages, emails, or any evidence of harassment or blackmail. This documentation can be crucial if legal action is required.
  2. Seek Support: Reach out to friends and family for emotional support. Sharing your situation with trusted individuals can provide comfort and assistance during this challenging time.
  3. Avoid Responding: Refrain from engaging with your ex-boyfriend or responding to any threats or blackmail attempts. Ignoring them may discourage further harassment.
  4. Contact the Police: If the harassment and blackmail persist and you feel threatened, consider filing a complaint with the police. They can investigate the matter and take appropriate legal action against your ex-boyfriend.
  5. Consult a Legal Advisor: Seek legal counsel to understand your rights and options. An attorney can help you explore legal remedies available to you, such as obtaining restraining orders or filing a case against your ex-boyfriend for harassment and blackmail.
  6. Protect Your Online Presence: Ensure that your social media accounts and personal information are secure. Change passwords if necessary to prevent unauthorized access.
  7. Block and Restrict: Block your ex-boyfriend's contact on all platforms and restrict access to your personal information online.
Remember that your safety and well-being are paramount. If you feel that your life or safety is in immediate danger, contact the authorities promptly. Dealing with harassment and blackmail can be distressing, but taking these steps can help protect yourself and seek legal recourse if needed.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."