What to do if a police man has captured a woman and beats her often

Friend of mine got struck in hands of her elder sister' s husband. He is intending to marry her as second wife. He is beating her and kicking with shoe, behaving like an animal. He is enquiring about her character every where and making her cheap. He is a police working as gunman to an IAS officer. What can we do from our side to save her. Her mother sister are afraid of him as he may give divorce or torture his wife. Iam not at all related to them. How can she get out of this now and in future. Every police almost is having contact with him.

What is Cruelty?

Even the best marriages experience emotional ups and downs. It’s not uncommon for a loving spouse to have a bad day, or blow up and say regrettable things to the other. However, repetitive abuse or inhumane treatment constitutes cruelty or domestic violence: This can result in broken bones or broken furnishings, or it can cause emotional harm through repeated intimidation, violent language, verbal abuse, or threats of harm.
What Acts Constitute Cruelty in a Marriage?

Since laws regarding marriage and divorce vary from state to state, the rules governing cruelty will differ depending on where you live. The only way to know exactly what counts as grounds for cruelty in your state is to read the statute or to consult a local family law attorney for advice. Some common examples of cruelty include the following:

physical attacks on a spouse
continuous rage, anger, screaming, or yelling at a spouse
constant belittling or criticizing the other spouse’s abilities, employment, or looks
publicly flaunting an affair or adulterous relationship
falsely accusing the other spouse of committing adultery
failing to tell the other spouse about an acquired sexually transmitted disease, while continuing to maintain sexual relations with spouse, and
consistently staying away from the marital residence without any explanation.
How Do I Prove Cruelty as a Divorce Ground?

Many states recognize both fault and no-fault divorce grounds. If you’re seeking a fault divorce based on cruelty, you have the burden of proving that you’ve experienced such extreme cruelty that staying in the marriage is impossible. Claiming you were married to a mean-spirited, nagging wife or a hot-tempered husband probably won’t be enough.

Proving cruelty can be difficult because of the “he said-she said” nature of these allegations. For example, if you testify to a judge about your spouse’s unkind acts, your spouse may respond that you are to blame and bring up all your past transgressions. A cruelty trial can easily end up turning on which spouse is more believable. To support your case, you should bring copies of police reports, medical records, text messages, and emails that evidence any kind of abuse and photos of physical injuries or property damage caused by your spouse.

Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
New Friends Colony, Delhi