What is the procedure for prosecution u/s 504 & 506 of IPC

Dear Sir, I understand that in the state of Maharashtra Police register offences under section 504 & 506 as Non cognizable offences i.e. the police on their own can't investigate the matter without the permission of the magistrate. Pl. let me know 1) the legal process / procedure that the complainant will have to follow so that the accused person is punished in a reasonable time i.e. within six months  and 2) is it really worth putting in so much efforts because even threat to life by causing serious injury given by the accused is not taken very seriously by the police at the time of registering the non cognizable complaint / offence. Thanks and regards

Answers (3)

dear client, as section 504 and 506 are non-cognizable in Maharashtra ,but grievous harm is definitely cognizable offence, as per crpc, as well as the section 166 of IPC, also insist police officers take proper action and investigation,you can meat the commissioner of police in that area , and acknowledge the real facts which can easily solve your issue.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

504 is Insult intended to provoke breach of peace and 506 is criminal intimidation both of which are bailable. After registration of the crime the accused can seek bail from the court. Thereafter the Police will investigate and file the chargesheet in a reasonable period of time. After filing of chargesheet the trial is conducted by the Magistrate court and the Judgement is passed. The entire process won't be completed in 6 months as asked by you. Regarding threat of your personal security you can always approach the same magistrate before whom the case is going on to complain about the threat received by you and action will be taken.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
26 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

To prosecute the Accused for the offense u/s. and 504 and 506, after registration of the NC we have to approach the Magistrate for the appropriate order. The effort are worth or not would completely depend on the facts of the case which needs to be studied.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

I have been booked under section 306 because a close friend of mine committed suicide and her family members held me responsible for the same. Initial…

Read More

Hi, one of my friend who also used to work in my firm did transfered some amount from his account to my personal and firm bank account. This transfer …

Read More

I file fir under section 452, 323,147 of ipc and police arrested the offenders under said sections and my question is that as per 452 ipc it is not ba…

Read More

Children delivered to usa to their parents who are illegally residing in US There is no trafficking or smuggling done done How can I plead for bail…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue