Regarding Arrest on NC filed by 3 Different Peoples on One Person. NC Full Form in Police ?

14-Jun-2024 (In Criminal Law)
Dear Sir/Madam, Please tell me in detail what is nc in police station? One of my friend and 2 others filed NC on one person on same issue in local police station. But police is not arresting an accused person on whom NCs are filed. What is legal procedure to arrest accused, validity of police nc ?
Answers (4)

Answer #1
873 votes
Section 155 of the Criminal Procedure Code, 1973 (CrPC) pertains to the procedure to be followed by a police officer when he receives information of a non-cognizable offence (NC) committed within his jurisdiction. So, "NC" in a police station stands for Non-Cognizable Offence.

As per this section, the police officer shall enter the substance of such information in a book kept by him, the NCR Diary, and hand over to the informant a copy of the Non-Cognizable Report (NCR). He will subsequently refer the informant to the Magistrate.

Non-cognizable offences are those for which a police officer cannot make an arrest without a warrant, and cannot begin an investigation or start legal proceedings without the permission of a court. These types of offences are generally considered less serious than cognizable offences, which are those for which a police officer can make an arrest without a warrant and can begin an investigation without permission from a court.

Non-cognizable offences are generally related to minor offences like traffic violations, assault, cheating, defamation, and public nuisance under the Indian Penal Code, 1860.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
896 votes
in NC cases there is no arrest is accure because it's like petty case if you want to arrest the accused you need to file fir in grevious charges if police not registered the crime then approach the court
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
878 votes
FIR needs to be lodged by the Police for arresting a person & for officially conducting investigation in a case. As far as NCs' are concerned, they allow you to file Private Criminal Complaint before a Magistrate.

Based on NCs', you can approach Magistrate to direct Police to register FIR & begin with official investigation into a case. But, if you think, the accused person needs to be arrested immediately as the crime committed by him is grievous, then you have to consult a lawyer like me that how to approach Police to get the FIR registered.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #4
796 votes
on NC the Police cannot arrest a person against whom the NC is recorded, however, for the same you need ask Police to lodge the FIR for the offence committed.

once the FIR is loged then police had a Power to arrest the Person against whom the NC is recorded.

still the police is not lodging the FIR then you can make a Private Complaint before the Magistrate
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."