Person makes complaint for dogs barking. Will police take them away?

I have four dogs at home. My neighbour had a grudge against us from a long time and now she has got a reason. She threatens us to go to the police and file a complaint that my dogs make noise, whereas my dogs are of an expensive breed and trained and don't bark that much. 


Everyday she fights with us and uses foul language and says that it is illegal to have dogs at home, that too 4 dogs.


If she complains, will the Police take my dogs away?




There is no law in existence which can stop a person from keeping a pet in the house. Futhermore, there is no limit as to the no. of dogs one can keep in his house. Even if the Resident Welfare Association makes bye-laws against keeping pets, the same cannot be made binding on you as it would be a violation of your Fundamental Right to Life guaranteed under Article 21.


All your neighbor can do is register a complaint for nuisance against you but she needs to prove the same in the Court of law which is a very cumbersome process. But in any case, she cannot make the police take your dogs away, so there is no need to be afraid of her empty threats.


Moreover, if your neighbour does anything to your pets, they can be booked under Prevention of Cruelty to Animal Act, 1960. Your neighbour's act would be against Article 51 A (g) of Constitution whereby a duty is cast on her to have compassion for pets.


We would also like to mention that you can register a complaint with police against your neighbour for verbal abuse (using foul language) against you.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

There is one lady in a society, who constantly fights with everyone. Once the fight happened my mother intervened to stop the fight. She openly threat…

Read More

Police have wrongly investigated the case and admitted charge sheet in court. what can i do? what is the procedure for reinvestigating the case?…

Read More

Sir A lady had obtained final police protection order & residence order from the court of the Judicial Magistrate under the P.W.D.V Act & the …

Read More

Received a threatening call from a person who lives near my location. I am contractor and now i need protection from the police. What should i do to a…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue