Legal procedure to cancel a registered FIR

If there Is Register FIR Under 156(3) then What Is the Process To get cancel the FIR, and after cancellation the FIR where the complainent can approach at next leval..Thanks.

Answers (5)

Below are the process to close a FIR or quashe it .
1) you can submit affidavit If the case is on investigation stage only and chargesheet is not submitted then the police can submit final report /closure report ,However if it refuses tondonso then mutual quashing is possible fron high court .
2) you can file for mutual quashing of FIR in the High Court.

you can file an application under section 156(3) CRPC before the learned Magistrate concerned . If he finds your complaint to have disclosed a cognizable offence would order police investigation and FIR

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

In 156(3) an application move to Magistrate, when Police is not filing FIR. In 156(3) magistrate instruct concern police station to inquire the matter and file FIR accordingly.
1st Join Investigation with Police.
2nd Move a application in concern High Court if FIR filed against you for FIR Quashing with proper proof and documents.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

There are two remedies available with you first the police can file closure report or cancellation report to the court that the we find no prima facie after investigation on that the complainant can file protest petition and second option you can file quashing petition u/s 482 Cr.P.C for quashing the FIR

Police investigated the matter thoroughly and if after inquiries and investigation into the matter police found that there is no truthness into the matter then cancel such fir after giving intimation in this regard to concernd SP

It is not clear from your query, whether you are complainant or accused. Well... I will answer the both way. If you are accused, you can get the FIR quashed from concerned High court depending upon the contents of complaint. Even the police can cancel the FIR if no offense is made out during the investigation. If you are complainant and the FIR on the basis of your complaint is cancelled, you can file protest petition against it and the court will treat it as private complaint and if you are able to prove prima facie case against the accused in your preliminary evidence, the court may summon the accused to face the trial.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

My exgirlfriend has filed a false rape case against me and luckily I got AB from the district court, now she seems to be moving to file for cancelling…

Read More

I put complaint against in law's including my husband before seven month back... In other side my uncle decided to settle outside but dat didnt wo…

Read More


Read More

I was attacked by a group of 7 members from In-laws family, beaten hard in a private room on Nov 26, 2016 midnight. Is there any time limit to file a …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue