Is IPC Section 354 compoundable or non compoundable?

i want to know if high court disposed quashing petition and ask for win in trial or something like that....... is quashing possible in compromise base in case n counter case for ipc 354? as per ammendment act 2009 it is not? i may be wrong ..if case n counter case both withdraw fir in ld court charges framed in chargesheet will be abolished or trial is must or need to apply in high court for 2nd time? is it possible to get clean chit another thing i want to know ipc 307 is not compoundable if i withdraw will i be punished?

Answers (4)

153 votes

Offence under section 354 IPC is not copmoudable now after amendment of 2009 and hence their is less chance to get any benefit from lower court on the basis of compromise
And also, it is not certain that high court will discharge the case on quashing on the basis of compromise. It will depend on the satisfaction of LD judge about condition of compromise between parties.
Far better than quashing, complainant and concerned witnesses have to change their statement in the trial court during the trial of the case.

- Section 354 of IPC

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

340 votes

MY OPINION THAT if have definite case to move at high court ,if or if not it is fully depends upon the merit basis , high court can quash the proceedings is the Hon'ble court can satisfy on the factual aspect as well as legal aspect.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
199 votes

Yes it may be compoundable . If after the completion of the investigation the Police officer submitted the charge sheet and the LD. Court fix for the date of evidence then it should be moved by the ld. Advocate for the amicable settlement . And after that by the order of the ld.court it may be settled mutually. But the victim girl should take up the allegation as well.

50 votes

Yes, except in offence of grave nature like rape, murder, dacoity etc, even the non-compoundable case can also be quashed on mutual consent of the parties.
However the case u/s 307 IPC can not be quashed even if the complainant gives consent in high court.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles