Difference between petition for criminal complaint and FIR

we filed an complaint in police station but Sub Inspector given us Petition copy for criminal complaint but we are expecting FIR may I know difference between Petition & FIR when I get FIR how many days it may took I get copy

Answers (2)

162 votes


The police will give you a copy of FIR free of cost once they register the same. I assume from your statement that the police might have given you the stamped acknowledgement of your complaint registered. Contact the police and ask them to register FIR and give you a copy of the same. However, if the police is not helping you and registering FIR, approach High court via Writ petition and get a direction to the police to register FIR or file a private complaint in the jurisdictional magistrate court where the court will direct the police to register FIR and complete investigation.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

119 votes

FIR is first Information report is prepared by police u/s 154 Cr.p.c after receipt of complaint/Information.

If police have not registered FIR based on your complaint, then police is violating supreme court orders after enquiry by police.
The rule is that after your complaint, police will do a preliminary enquiry and the preliminary enquiry is restricted to whether there is a cognizable offence committed or not. Preliminary enquiry is not a full blown investigation.
So in your case, it appears that police are not proceeding to register the FIR but instead trying to wash the hands off the complaint by making a general diary entry.
So if you have a cognizable offence, then you can approach the High court and get high court to direct the police to register the FIR.
Hope this information is useful.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles