quesCan wife file adultery case against husband?

One of my friend. He going through a divorce and also he is having affair with another married woman. The wife is threatening my friend to file an adultery case. Can she file an adultery as criminal case on her husband ?

  • ansin these circumstances wife can file case of adultery against husband if the marriage is still subsisting. according to above mentioned facts divorce proceeding is pending the divorce have not granted to the parties so the marriage is in existence till final decree of divorce by court.

    Advocate Yogesh Kumar Vidyakar

      District Court, Dwarka, Delhi

  • ansshe can file for divorce on the grounds of adultery and claim maintenance and stridhan. In India adultery is not really taken cognisance of but it is very much a crime. If the wife consults a lawyer she can file for a criminal case.
    497. Adultery.—Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man, without the consent or connivance of that man, such sexual intercourse not amounting to the offence of rape, is guilty of the offence of adultery, and shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to five years, or with fine, or with both. In such case the wife shall not be punishable as an abettor.

    Advocate Shalini Kapila

      Dubai Creek Tower, Dubai

  • ansSection 497, Adultery under the Indian Penal Code is not available to a woman. It was incorporated solely for the husband of a married woman to prosecute the man she is having an affair with. The answer to your question therefore is, NO your friends wife cannot file a case for adultery against him. Hope this helps.

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India, Delhi

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Criminal lawyers in India

Similar questions

complainant died & given will to nephew and had filed 156(3) without 154 & 155…
I have been falsely booked under IPC 353. I have a few questions - the…
hi I am a doctor,during working at VMMC Safderjung hospital new delhi ,I found few…
A neighbour tried to encroach my plot by beating me in 01 Jul 14. I…

Criminal Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Vara Prasada Rao Tangrda

 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>