Can rape case be filed after many years had passed

In Criminal Law
Could a woman be able to file a rape case in India even after so many years of the incident?

Answers (5)

143 votes

a women can file case after many years,However,she should have to explain and prove the delay caused in filing case.
The age and other aspects were not relevant while considering the matter.Anyway the finality depends upon the facts and motto.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

124 votes


In this matter, a woman is able to file a cape case in India even after years. However to secceed that case, the reason for delay in filling such complaint / case shall be properly explained in a legally convincing way. It is better to consult the lawyer while writing the complaint itself.

Sheejish PT,
Advocate, Ernakulam.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
103 votes

The recent incidents makes police to have a rethought and insists on a preliminary investigation into the merits of the case in such matters where there is delay. Theoretically issue of delay is not applicable to file a cognizable offence like rape, though delay in lodging FIR is a ground of defence for the accused..

73 votes

She can file case with convincing reasons for not filing complaint immediately after the commission of rape. It is very difficult to prove the case as the evidence that may lost due to passage of time.

170 votes


Some grave offences under IPC does not have limitation period and certain such type of cases can be filed even after long time of incident. Also/r/t lodging FIR in rape cases , there are many Supreme Court decisions too. Hence, if you tell me more details of the case, then only I can explain you clearly and if at all a case is filed what are the available remedies of the accused.

With Regards,


Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles