Can police arrest couples who are staying in hotels with valid ID's

In Criminal Law
If a couple who are consenting adults are staying in a hotel with their valid IDs provided to the hotel management are committing any sought of crime.. Does the police has the right to arrest or file a case against such couples . What to do if police is harassing the couple under such circumstances

Answers (5)

62 votes

There is so many fault iregarding this type of cases.In our constitution,if a boy Completed his 21 and a girl 18.Then they are free will to have physical relation but when a couples staying in some hotel then police arreste in ground that there are going illegal work.In this situation only a citizens ca harass.If you have strength and power then you can file a case againt the police in a court 156(3) crpc
but no one do this.This is real fact.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

247 votes

No, absolutely not. The problem is we are not aware of our rights. So the answer of your question would be no. Police can't arrest any couple who is voluntarily staying together in a hotel, if they both are older than 18 years of age.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
256 votes

No Police cannot arrest in this case , but Police can arrest you on any apprehension. You both should be major in age and shall produce identity card when asked . There is no provisions to arrest . Staying in hotel is not illegal .

229 votes

Police cannot harass the couple and if it so then, the lady can call on the women help line number and lodge a complaint against the police man for harassment.

And in some cases police definitely can lodge an FIR if a lady along with you is married and her husband gets to know about it, he can file a complaint against you and get his wife MLC done there and then. MLC refers to the medical check up.

66 votes

As per the law anyone above age of 18 and "consent" has full rights to stay, live, etc, if the Hotel Check in requires the documents of ID separate for both people and the same are submitted then Hotel cannot allow any Police or authority to barge in your room and charge with "indecent behavior in public" which is not at all relatable as the term consenting adults is in the picture. Action before Higher Authority like DG Police can be taken up and if any action like FIR or charge-sheet has been done by Police then same be immediately challenged before High Court for quashing under Section 482 Cr. PC.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles