Can I hit police for self defense if I get physically assaulted

I am asking this question, because of current scenario in chennai, law and order is being ruined by police itself.. so if I am in a position of being assaulted by police, can I hit them back for myself defence?. Will it come under self protection or will I be punished by law for hitting a police officer in duty?

Section 96 and section 97 of Indian penal code gave right of self defence to everybody to protect his own body or others body and protect his property and others property subject to the limitation as envisage in section 99 of IPC that means your act of private defence should be reasonable and not excessive at any point of time.suppose if a man tries to hurt you by a stone you have private defence of prevent him by slap him but not attack with rod.further when police acts according to law as per direction of higher authority you have no right of private defence as said in section 99 of ipc.in that case said by you liability to prove your innocence lies on you only.