Can I file a criminal case after 10 years

I was beaten by a man in 2008 .. And went to a govt hospital and made my medical from there .... And then I went to the police station to DO A FIR against that person and the police man was not taking my issue seriously ... So he did not accept my application of FIR .... I was trying to do FIR but in that time my brother got a heavy accident and then I left going police station for FIR .... But today that person is again trying to hurt me ..... And I want to do a FIR ON THE BESIS OF MY THAT MEDICAL AND ON HE BESIS OF MY THAT SEVERE INJURIES .... PLEASE HELP ME .....

Answers (5)

62 votes

Hello dear client,

Yes you can file a FIR against that person.
My advice to you is file FIR about current problem and also give reference of last medical and misbehave of police.
And for better results you should register your complaint in court under sec 156(3) Cr.P.C.
All the best

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

90 votes

you write a new application and going to ploice station then your complent is not registered you will go to ssp and gave your application ssp order your application and your f.i.r is registered on police station.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
57 votes

Delay FIR is equivalent to a no FIR, because burden will be on your head to explain 10 years gap. Circumstances under which you were unable to lodge FIR. But that same person is again threatening you, then approach to register FIR for fresh cause along with the incident so happened 10 years back.
Thank you!

67 votes

it will be very difficult to get a case registered again after 10 years, do you have written copy of the complaint you made to the police in 2008?, how is that person trying to hurt you ? you can register a fresh FIR, you case will be stronger considering the previous incident, but if the police refuse to file an FIR again you approach the court under section 156(3) crpc

208 votes

No you can't take advantage of previous medical that has become too old as according to you 10 years old. If that person hurts you again then you can lodge an FIR. In case police does not register your FIR then you can send your FIR to police station and SSP through registered post and file a petition in concerned court for a direction from court to the police to lodge your report and in case court refuses to give direction for registration of FIR the your petition shall itself be treated as Complaint case and after taking your evidence court shall summon that person before court and if you prove your case in court then that person shall be awarded punishment according to law like sentence of imprisonment.... Regards.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles