Bike and RC taken by police for drink and drive case what action

20-Aug-2023 (In Criminal Law)
I was caught driving a bike, just outside the bar(police was wait),on 18 august 2016. They took my breath analyser within 1 hour and it was 101. After this they took me to police station where i called my friend and got out. They took my rc, license and bike.They told me to again visit the police station on 22 august. My questions. 1. Will they take me to court on 22. 2. If they take me to court should i plead guilty. 3. Will this have any records, so that in future if i apply for a passport or visa or there is a background check , will this appear. Religion hindu.
Answers (6)

Answer #1
395 votes

As per the information provided by you, it appears that you have been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol under Section 279 of Indian Penal Code, 1860 and Section 185 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. To answer your questions:

  1. Yes, it is highly likely that the police may ask you to appear in court on August 22. If you have been charged with a traffic violation or a criminal offense, you will be required to appear in court and defend yourself against the charges.

  2. Whether you should plead guilty or not guilty depends on the specific circumstances of your case. Pleading guilty may result in a conviction and a penalty, whereas pleading not guilty may give you the opportunity to contest the charges and prove your innocence.

  3. Many countries require a police clearance certificate or a criminal record check as part of their visa or passport application process. Police clearance certificates provide information about an individual's criminal history, including any convictions or pending charges. Whether drink and drive reflect in police verification, depends on if you have been convicted or acquitted of these charges. If you are convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol, it may have a record in your criminal history, which may show up in background checks for visa or passport applications, or other situations where your criminal record is relevant. However, if you are acquitted or the charges against you are dropped, such an incident of drink and drive may not reflect in their police verification or police clearance certificate as there would not be any record of the incident.

Answer #2
787 votes
Have they given you any receipt of the documents they have taken in custody and the impounded vehicle ? Drunken driving is a punishable offense but the police have the powers to release on payment of penalty/fine please refer the section of motor vehicle act quoted in inverted commas "Section 185. Driving by a drunken person or by a person under the
influence of drugs. – Whoever, while driving, or attempting to drive, a motor
vehicle -
5[(a) has, in his blood, alcohol exceeding 30 mg. Per 100 ml. of
blood detected in a test by a breath analyser, or ]
(b) is under the influence of a drug to such an extent as to be
incapable of exercising proper control over the vehicle.
shall be punishable for the first offence with imprisonment for a term which
may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to two thousand
rupees, or with both; and for a second or subsequent offence, if committed
within three years of the commission of the previous similar offence, with
imprisonment for a term which may extend to two year, or with fine which
may extend to three thousand rupees, or with both.
Explanation – For the purposes of this section, the drug or drugs
specified by the Central Government in this behalf, by notification in the
Official Gazette, shall be deemed to render a person incapable of exercising
proper control over a motor vehicle."
also they can take you to the court if you plead guilty court can release you on paying penalty but it will be better if you consult a lawyer before you go further and if you plead guilty there will not be any impact on your passport verification or visa or otherwise
Answer #3
505 votes
What is the point in mentioning that u r Hindu ? Law does not discriminate the person on the basis of religion. Yes u will have to appear before court. Better if u plead guilty. Otherwise you will have to face trial and and cant say the period it will prolong. You need not worry for the record . You will get Passport and Visa. The so called stars get it even when they kill some one . Yours is a minor offence.
Adv. Sandeep Naik
20.08.2016 at 9.30 p.m.
Answer #4
602 votes
1. Yes
2. Not guilty (and try a case) or
If guilty pleaded you would be fined as per motor vehicle act and ipc 279 which will left record in govt office and police diary.

You could must managed the police
when you have been caught.

Now it is somehow difficult.

Feel free to contact for legal service in pune.
Answer #5
789 votes

The Answer to your Questions are

1) Yes, they will indeed tell you to come to the Court on a Specified date, mostly the 22nd.

2) If it is your 1st Offence of Drink & Drive and you Plead Guilty, you'll be let off with just a Fine and no Jail Time.

3) And Yes, if you Plead Guilty, it will indeed have a record of you being caught for Drink & Drive and that you were Guilty of it. And it will be reflected in the Background check for Passport.

If you don't want any record of it, then plead not guilty and fight the Case on merits which takes a lot of time though.
Answer #6
135 votes
  1. Bike and RC Seizure for Drink and Drive Case: When the police seize your bike and RC due to a drink and drive case, you should consult with a criminal lawyer. They can guide you on the legal process and potential consequences.
  2. Drink and Drive in Police Verification: Yes, a drink and drive case can reflect in your police verification, and it may affect your record.
  3. Impact on Government Job: A history of drunk driving can potentially affect your eligibility for certain government jobs, as they often require a clean criminal record.
  4. Drink and Drive and Criminal History: Drink and drive offenses are considered criminal offenses, and they can contribute to your criminal history.
  5. Checking Drink and Drive Case Online:  You may need to contact local authorities or consult with a local lawyer for guidance on this.
  6. Drink and Drive Fine: The fine for a drink and drive case can vary by location.
  7. Passport and Drunk Driving: Drunk driving offenses can impact your passport application or renewal. It's essential to address any pending cases or fines before dealing with passport-related matters.
In summary, if your bike and RC are seized due to a drink and drive case, it's crucial to seek legal advice and address the situation promptly. Additionally, drunk driving can have consequences on police verification, government job eligibility, and passport-related matters. Be aware of the specific fines and regulations in your locality regarding drink and drive cases.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."