How to get patent for a business idea for a startup

Hello I have some queries related to my startup. How do I patent my idea of business as I heard about the term intellectual property protection? and also How would I know that is there any pre-existing startup of the same idea? Can a business idea be patented? Although I do not have any product or something, I just have a business idea related to e-commerce? Is there any legalized process require to hire a lawyer to go for such processing?

Please be advised that ideas per se cannot be protected. Intellectual property rights render protection to the expression of the idea. A novel product or invention can be protected by patents. A work of art for example literary work, art etc can be protected by copyright. Product names can be protected by trademarks.

With regard to a business idea, if the same is expressed as computer program or even if the idea is expressed on paper, it may be eligible for protection under copyright law.

Lastly, start ups get special privileges from Intellectual Property Office India, which include subsidized filing fee, hiring a lawyer etc.

Trust the above is responsive to your queries.

Best regards

Popular Trademark & Copyright Lawyers