What to do if consumer is not paying after taking the services

Hi A consumer hired my services and ahas not paid even on demands, I cannot afford to file civil recovery suite for this as it takes lot of time. I approached District consumer Forum Siting the Duties of a consumer and Asked for PAyment from Consumer as releif. the District Consumer Forum Rejected my petition saying in consumer court only Consumer can file case for Negligence/Deficiency of service not the service provider. tell me what should i Do if you are an expert lawyer. i have enforced agreement and bill copy

Answers (4)


In terms of the Consumer Protection Act, a consumer complaint, ordinarily, can only be filed by the following persons:

Under Section 12(1)(a)- by a consumer to whom the goods are sold or delivered or agreed to be sold or delivered or services are provided or agreed to be provided; or
Under Section 12(1)(b)- by any recognized consumer association; or
Under Section 12(1)(c)- by one or more consumers where there are numerous consumers, provided it is filed on behalf of or for the benefit of all the consumers having the same interest; or
Under Section 12(1)(d)- by the Government.

In this case, you are not a consumer but a service provider, hence you cannot file a consumer complaint against the consumer. If you cannot afford to file a money recovery suit, lodge a complaint with the police for cheating and criminal breach of trust and proceed further. If the police doesn't support you in registering an FIR against the consumer, file a private complaint in the jurisdictional magistrate court under sections 420 & 406 IPC and proceed further.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

as per the existing consumer laws only consumer can approach the consumer forum for reprehensible rights apprehended by the seller and the seller have only option to file a civil suit for recovery so be pleased to advices

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Initially legal notice has to be issued and in case the consumer does not adhere to the legal notice then, suit for recovery has to be filed, in case if the consumer is a Pvt Ltd or public ltd company then competition petition can be filed for recovery.


If you cannot afford a civil recovery suit then u can file a police case and file a cheating case.

U can file a criminal case directly if the police fails to accept your case.

You can approach criminal court.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.5 | 16 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Legal Notice for Faulty Product / Services

4.4 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Consumer Dispute Advice Session by Phone

4.6 | 77 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your consumer dispute issue
Similar questions

Sir, I am a Jio prime Customer.I recharged with 599 which says you can make unlimited call (Jio terms and conditions says you can make unlimited call …

Read More

on 28 FEB I booked FRANCH EXPRESS to deliver materials from Coimbatore to Hyderabad, they attempted to deliver but end user didn't respond so they…

Read More

Hi, Hathway internet service providers had come to house, taken full money for 3 months in advance i.e Rs. 2474, gave receipt and vanished after that.…

Read More

We have around 20 Odd Customers who are not paying for services already rendered to them. As a styartup it is now a survival mode for us and we may ha…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue