What are the formalities required while filing a consumer case?

I recently purchased a sony handset. It came with manufacturing defects. When i asked the customer support and the company to replace my handset, all the requests went unheard. Now i want to file a consumer case against them. I want to know what are the legal formalities that i have to keep in mind while filing the case?

The legal procedure starts with sending a legal notice to the seller requesting him to solve your query in 30 days otherwise you will move to the District Consumer Forum. If he replies positively then there is no need to go to the District Consumer forum, otherwise you can filea case under section 12 of the Consumer Protection Act, 1986.

Documents required at the time of filing :
1. Bill of your mobile handset.
2. Copy of Emails/Leftters exchanged between you and the company(Sony).

If you do not have any proof that you have approached the company, it is highly advisable that you send few emails/letters to the company and then after 30days of the receipt of such letter/email you may  file the complaint. This way you would have a stronger case. 

You can file a consumer complaint before the
Competent forum. U can also send a legal notice prior to filing of the complaint through counsel and claim the loss suffered or replacement of product along with interest etc.