Procedure to claim compensation for delayed possession by builder

I have booked a residential flat in 2012 and as per agreement it was promised to deliver in late 2015. However till date only structure is ready and possession will take another 18 to complete. Builder wrote me Email that they have taken OC for other Tower and requested me to transfer my booking to other Tower. However I am not planning to change my Tower and planning to file the case in Rera, District court and state consumer court... Not sure after occupancy certificate I can file case against buider or not ? Builder is registered with Rera. Pls guide.

Answers (5)

You should go to RERA for your grievance and that also with out waiting.
Your claim is in no way connected with his occupancy certificate.
And you should go to RERA because its less time consuming and less paper work is required.
You can represent yourself or through a counsel at RERA.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

The matter will be dealt before the RERA only as the builder is registered with the RERA and you have two options with you. Firstly, you can withdraw your booking and secondly, on the delayed possession you can claim interest and if their is a change in structure then you have the option for getting compensated.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience
Advocate T Kalaiselvan
Kosapet, Vellore
18 years Experience
Advocate Parvez Ahamed
Magrath Road, Bangalore
23 years Experience

your problem very common in property area, builder are playing very soft mindgame . every person sad for builder these act . so come to the point i advise you approach first rera because rera act in property area is very effective , second you approach consumer court.

Based on limited facts that you have revealed, you can file a case. But "where" that will be decided by the amount of flat, where it is located and what relief you are seeking from the suit? And you don't need to change your tower. The builder is under obligation to provide you the same that he has promised and also liable to pay you for the delay in possession as per builder buyer agreement between you. regards team "lawyer mitra"

You can approach to RERA. But it's a clear case of consumer court because it's the case if malafid service. You can file a case in consumer court or you can also demand for return your money if you want. For more information you can contact me.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.5 | 16 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Legal Notice for Faulty Product / Services

4.4 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Consumer Dispute Advice Session by Phone

4.6 | 77 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your consumer dispute issue
Similar questions

I booked a 2bhk flat in 2007 in a propoerty comprising TWO towers, in Pune, being developed by a FAMILY MEMBER. The booking amount of 8.75 lac against…

Read More

I booked a flat in Noida. But as per the recent notice by the noida authorities my studio apartment is now being seized. What action can i take now? I…

Read More

We had booked a flat on Feb 2017.Builder had promised to launch the flat on June 2017 and start construction. But builder till date has not even launc…

Read More

Already paid 80% of cost to builder. But he is not constructing apartment. No movement over last 2 years. Booked apt before 5 years. He is moving towa…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue