Do I need to give notice to builder, in case of delay in possession?

I had purchased an under-construction apartment in Delhi in April 2013. At the time of purchase, I was told that the possession of the apartment shall be handed over to me in the month of January 2015. The builders have delayed possession of flat for more than a year now and they do not respond to any of my calls and emails. What legal remedy do I have? Do I need to issue a notice to the builder?


Since, the possession of the flat is still not given to you, you can send a legal notice through your lawyer to the builder, claiming refund of the amount paid by you in purchasing the flat along with interest and damages. 

If still the possession is not granted to you, file a consumer complaint, in the appropriate consumer dispute forum for deficiency in service, against the builder.

The appropriate consumer forum for filing the complaint depends on the value of the property; if the value:
  • Is less than 20 lakh -District Commission.
  • Is more than Rs 20 lakh - State Commission.
  • Is more than 1 crore - National Commission in New Delhi.

Before filing the complaint do make sure that you have all the adequate documents/papers like brochure, assurance of the builder for early completion etc in order to prove your allegations. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Hi, I have booked a flat in New Panvel (Adai village) in 2012 while construction was supposed to start. That time builder promised me in next 3 months…

Read More

how can i file a case against the builder in the consumer court for not giving possession of the property?…

Read More

Builder has not completed many work that he promised to do. He assured that borrwell water will last for at least 5 years but it becomes out of order …

Read More

Builder not giving me possession of my registered flat. Wha are my option if I go legally against him…

Read More