Contract builder stops construction work & demands more money

I bought a land in a un authorization colony delhi, i made a contract with a local builder to make 3 floor on it, we both builder and me have agreement about construction, in which i have to pay 12 lakh initially and 4 lakh after finalisation, initial payment 12 lakh done and work started ,structure still incomplete and builder stopped work and demand more amount, i denied to pay amount. Now no working there due to that agreement, what should i do, he dont say that he will not do work , he ask for money. Please suggest?

You may ask for the completion of work as per the agreement and then you may pay after the work is over. Not on the legal front, it is said that you try to find out the reason of asking money and if you find it reasonable, just go ahead but take consent that it will form part of that money.

You may file a complaint in consumer forum regarding the services which you availed from that contractor and get directions from the forum there are some relivent judgements which will be helpful for your case. It is settled law first you have to fulfill your promise as stated in the agreement then the liability arrises on the second party to pay the consideration for that.