Builder still not started construction even after 3 years what to do.

Sir, I had booked a flat three years back and entire booking amount of 5 lakhs was paid by cheque. Builder had given in writing that he had received the cheque (also mentioning the cheque numbers). In terms and conditions, it was mentioned that amount will be refunded fully (without interest) if due to any problem construction has been cancelled. But even after 3 years he had not started construction. Once I enquired in CIDCO, I came to know that the plot itself has not been completely acquired by builder as some dispute between him and local farmers is going on. So I cancelled the booking & informed to refund the money within 3 months. Even after 5 months, he has returned the money,citing the reason that he is in financial crisis and will refund the money as soon as possible. Can I claim interest for the amount for the past three years if I go to consumer court?

Answers (1)

260 votes

Very sorry for you that you are still in the lurch. Please get legal help and hire a professional for best handling of the matter in a consumer forum. You may ask for all as you have mentioned and with due time you could gather justice. In fact you should have approached a Lawyer ideally by now. Pay him the fee and let him do his job.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles