Builder not returning advance money paid what can I do.

I have booked a flat and give advance money by the cheque. Later I know building is mortgage in bank and builder is defaulter from the bank. I wish to the builder return my advance money but he is avoid and tell me when will be flat is book then I will return. So what I do ?

First serve a legal notice upon the contractor giving him a stipulated time to refund you the money through a lawyer. And if he fails to refund you within the given time you have to file a legal suit against him in the appropriate forum.