Bought refrigerator which was faulty and costed 13000 electricity bill

My two months old faulty refrigerator gave me more than thirteen thousand rupees electricity bill. Will I get the money back from the company?

Answers (5)

86 votes

Yes it will be covered under warranty and seller is laible to all the loss caused to you due to defect in product. You can make a complaint before district consumer forum and claim compensation including mental harrassment and legal fees.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

52 votes

Whether the issue is communicated to the seller or company?
Proper documents are required to show the cause of high electricity bill is due to the fault of the refrigerator.
Please let me know the status.

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
92 votes

Unless you prove that there is a manufacturing defect in the refrigerator you will be unable to prove your case before a consumer court and get your money back from the company. Suggest you first get proof of manufacturing defect in the product.

189 votes

Sir better you take service of refrigerator Technician and make note of the actual problem in the machine. Then on that basis/report of the said mechanic, issue notice to the concern dealer and manufacturer with regard to defects in the machine only and ask him to replace.

If he failed to replace the same, then proceed to file a consumer case against the said person. In that you can claim damages as you mentioned in the question

Please proceed with a notice.

305 votes

Firstly let me explain the meaning of “Durable Goods" :mean goods which are consumed and used or disposed after serving its usefulness for a period of time, which is more than two years, like refrigerator, laptops, television sets etc.;

And your faulty refrigerator is considered to be a durable good.
Hence you can send a legal notice to the company and claim the electricity bill along with the legal charges.

The legal notice must contain a particular clause:

“Every receipt given to the consumer shall have consumer guarantees specified on it as under:-
(a) that goods are of acceptable quality;
(b) that goods will be reasonably fit for use;
Right to free return valid till fifteen days from purchase.
(c) that the goods will satisfy any extra promises made about them;
(d) that there is a 'right to free return' of the goods within fifteen days of its purchase.
Every consumer shall have the right to return free durable goods.”

If the developer refuses or neglects the notice, the you can approach the consumer court. Submit a formal complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. You need to hire a lawyer for filing the suit. Fill this complaint form and submit it to the commission.

If you need more assistance you can contact me so that I would help you draft a Legal notice.

Thank you
Advocate Ganesh B.R. High Court of Karnataka, Bangalore.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles