Bank credited money in wrong account what to do

Dear Sir/Madam, I seek your advice in regards to the following issue in State bank Of India. I had deposited our rental cheque of Rs. 18000/- in a/c of Mr.P. Rajesh holding his savings a/c in SBI, the bank wrongly credited the same into Mr. Gurjit's Singh a/c in Chandigarh. I have made repeated request to reverse the entry and credit the sum of Rs. 18000/- into Mr. P. Rajesh's a/c. Till date the Bank manager is not helping me to get back the amount from Mr. Gurjit's Singh a/c. Kindly let me know what should be the action in this context. Thanking You. Banu.

Answers (2)

349 votes

Usually we have to handle this type of the problems with the help of the bank manager only. In your case he does not corporate with you since he does not have the responsibility to rectify the mistakes done by you but the mistake has been committed by the bank means surely you can send a lawyer notice to the bank manager with necessary documents.even if he refuses to co- operate make a complaint before the higher authorities. You can even approach the ombudsman for the relief.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

120 votes


You didn't mention how you credited the payment - online transfer or by filling up challan? If you have proof that you deposited in the correct account and you already instructed the bank in writing to reverse the deposited sum to the proper account, then you can write to Banking Ombudsman for bank's failure and also you can initiate proceedings under Consumer Protection Law (for negligence and deficiency of service) and also under Indian Penal (for cheating and breach of Trust - if the act is committed with malafide intention).

Popular Consumer Court Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Consumer Court Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles