What is the legal way to change my original date of birth

In Civil Law
Hello I want to change my original date of birth for admission purpose can I extend my date of birth for 3 months to get admission.?

Answers (3)

187 votes

To legally change your birth date, you must petition the court and provide compelling evidence that the data listed on the current birth certificate is incorrect. Judges are reluctant to grant orders to amend birth dates, particularly if you believe the listed birthday is off by less than one year.

Obtain proof that the date of birth listed is incorrect. If the date of birth is listed incorrectly due to a typographical or clerical error, obtain written evidence of the correct birthday. In these circumstances, hospital records, along with a notarized affidavit from a doctor or hospital administrator verifying their authenticity, should be sufficient to obtain a change in birth date.

Establish the correct birth date with medical evidence. In many instances of children adopted overseas, birth records are inaccurate and based on estimations made by the orphanage staff. If you believe that your child’s birth date is incorrect, consult a pediatrician and pediatric dentist to help you determine your child’s actual age. Ask the medical professionals to prepare sworn affidavits attesting to your child’s actual date of birth.

Petition the court for a change of date of birth. Once you have written evidence, prepare a Motion for Change of Date of Birth, and file it with the clerk of the court. Your motion should contain a summary of your evidence and reasons for requesting the change of date of birth. Be sure to attach original copies of all your medical evidence and other supporting paperwork.

Go before a judge and make your case. You will be given a hearing so that the judge can determine the merits of your case.

Forward the signed change of date of birth order to the state department of vital records and request a new birth certificate. Once the judge signs the order authorizing a change of birth date, you or your attorney will be responsible for forwarding it to the vital records department. The state will then be able to issue a new birth certificate, reflecting the amended date of birth.

Use the new birth certificate to change data with the Social Security Administration. As a final step, you will need to contact your local Social Security office and request that the date of birth be changed in its system.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

136 votes

Legally that’s not possible…but that’s also not impossible. You just have to approach the concerned department and address to them that you were born at home and at that time you were not able to make the birth certificate and that’s why wanted to apply afresh for the same. For more legal assistance I am just a call away.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
14 years Experience
340 votes

No. the date of birth is ascertained on the basis of hospital records and municipal records which are maintained on the basis of information provided st the time of birth of a child. so if record are in consonance and if there is no discrepancy then the date of birth of person cannot be extended or altered or modified.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles