Procedure to obtain permission to connect private road to property

Dear Sir/Madam I have a 30 Cent of a land, in which my home construction is going on and I don't have any road access to my plot. But adjacent to my property there is private road owned by a single person (He does not have any land in this area, he only owned this private road now rest of all his land he sold out). This road is constructed from the main road, which connects to 4/5 residences, Government Sub Health Center and a Anganvadi and he still kept this road as his private property. Can I get any right of way to connect this private road to my property? pls assist me to get a proper legal advise in this regard. 

Answers (3)

271 votes

If the road is a private road owned and managed by the same person.he possess the sole right and you can't claim.if the road is tarred by the authorities then the same is a general pathway and you can use the same. For more details the documents needs to be verified

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

184 votes

In your case the permission for using the way is necessary. If he allows then you can connect the same to your land and main road.
Basically, an easement is the right to use the property of another. Easements come in two types: gross easements and appurtenant easements. A gross easement is a right over use of your property held by a specific individual. Appurtenant easements are a right over use of your property for the benefit of adjoining lands. Gross easements give a right over use of your property to those adjoining lands no matter who owns them. An easement is an agreed-upon use of land by a party other than the landowner. This agreement allows access to land for things like natural resources, development of necessary utility pipelines, or construction and maintenance. Easements can be beneficial depending on their purpose.
You can claim if you are in the circle in the Easement law.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience
337 votes

in general you cannot claim any right of way, without the consent of the other party. But you can claim right of way acquired through easement. But to give a detailed opinion with regard to the right of easements I want the details of the previous lie of the property, road etc.. and other details

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles