Legal remedy as new neighbor is blocking 27 years old drainage

We have a drain existed since 1990 . All the dirty water flowing through that drain fall into neighbor's drain then both water finally fall into main municipality drain.we had no problem with old owner but the after purchasing the house in 2013 new owner recently in 2018 january objecting and telling us to block the drain. Even municipality is telling us the same since in the buiding plan the drain is located to another spot.we have an agreement with previous owner on 50 rs stamp paper to use the drain. Moving the drain to another location as mentioned in the buiding plan is impossible for there is no space available. Whole buidling structure was made such a way according to the drainage system . How strong is my case if I file civil suit and what are the suggestions at this point . Please help me.

Answers (3)

160 votes

If you are using the drain for the last 20years without any interruption then you have an easement right then you can file a civil suit to declare that.For that you need to prove the easement right over that drain.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

108 votes


Your case is based on easement right. If you have an agreement and you are using the drain uninterrupted for more than 20 years you have an adverse possession over it. So your case is in most probable situation will succeed in my opinion provided proper steps are taken accordingly. You may contact me if you would like to proceed accordingly.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
8 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience
186 votes

Nobody can stop the existing drain save an except Municipality authority you can made representation by stating all facts before the municipality if you will not satisfied in action of the municipality you can file writ before High court

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles