Legal query regarding cooperative housing society nominee

Deceased Hindu member of society is survived by his son and two daughters . Spouse also expired in year 2010. Nomination is done but both the nominee and the society have misplaced the papers / records of Nomination. Nominee and /or legal heir has not been made a member of society by the society. NO RESPONSE from Registrar of societies . Society still shows deceased person as it's member for last 30 years . Cheques issued by heirs are not encased by society. And issues bills in the name of deceased person with 21% interest compounded monthly. Nominee / heir is not allowed to participate in meetings on ground of nonmember. Society is now threatening eviction. Q-1---Are Nominee/ heir liable to pay dues of society under such circumstances? Q-2--Whether law of limitation applies in this case? Q-3-- Can society evict nominee/ heir from the flat? Guidance requested.

Answers (1)

331 votes

On the death of your father, you and his other legal heirs or any one legal heir with NOC from other legal heirs, need to obtain Letters of Administration from the court and produce it to the society for transferring the flat to the name of the legal heirs. Alternatively if society is agreeable, then it can issue a public notice in local news papers inviting objections from the public against transfer of flat and shares to the name of legal heirs. The legal heirs will also be required to give a declaration with indemnity to the society. In event no objections are received pursuant to the public notice, then the society, on relying on the declaration with indemnity, can transfer the flat and shares to the names of legal heirs. This is the shortest route.
In the meanwhile try and find out the nomination papers and submit to the society so that society can accept the maintenance arrears from the nominee.
Ordinarily for making application for grant of letters of administration, there is no limitation. But if considerable time has lapsed, then it raises suspicion and doubt. So make the application soon.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
10 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I have taken MIDC industrial plot in the year 2008. Then after we approach the financial institution raise the loan so that we can start construction …

Read More

Is There a Time Limit to File a civil Lawsuit? What is the maximum time limit allowed in immovable property like land matters, if i found there was a …

Read More

Hello, I am an owner of a flat in an apartment society in Baghamberpet, Hyderabad, and am also one of the committee members of the society. There is a…

Read More


Read More