Can housing society increase charges without consultation of residents

my housing society has increased the maintenance charges from 1200 to 2000, they have verbally informed us but we don't agree to pay such a high amount. wanted to understand that if the society has not taken any signature from us ..for the agreed amount.. can they issue a notice to us. we are paying the previous amount of 1200/-

Answers (2)

57 votes

If youy are not agree or able to pay increased maintenance amount and if you feel that the new charges are not appropriate then inform society in writing by explaining reasons. If not satisfied then file a complaint at The Society Registrar

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

303 votes

This increment can be done through a society meeting with permission of all other members in the society.
Whether this increment of maintenance charge's resolution was passed and approved in Society General Body meeting?
and still if you are aggrieved by this discussion you can send a legal notice and challenge the same.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles