Sole custody status for Unmarried woman

I have a baby boy 6 months old. Our marriage is not registered. I need to know process for getting sole custody. Is there any chance that the guy can claim the baby back? What is the procedure for this?

Answers (2)

154 votes

Dear Client,
Whether your marriage was celebrated according to customary rites and ceremonies. If so it is your husband who is the natural father of the boy. Whether you have financial capacity to look after that boy. If marriage is not registered, only on that ground it cannot be said that it is not a valid marriage. As a natural guardian he can claim legal guardianship and custody of that boy. You both have equal rights to claim legal guardianship. If he proceeds to claim legal guardianship you can restrain him from taking custody of the boy. Take Legal assistance, if files any petition to claim legal guardianship.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

289 votes

Hello Firstly have you applied for divorce? your husband will not have right to claim your baby. The sole custody of baby is yours, he will be having visiting rights and you have chance to claim maintenance for your baby also.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles