Does one parent get full custody of child if other parent is in jail

If one parent who has custody goes to jail and doesn't come back after released for 6 years. What happens to the child. Does the other parent get full custody?

Answers (3)

342 votes

If one parent goes to jail definitely the custody will be with other parent but after being released the parent does not turn up for years then the other parent can claim full custody .but I can advice you properly after knowing the full facts of the case, so you can contact me for better advice.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

154 votes

Yes in case any parent who has a childs custody is sent to jail, in such case the other parent can easily ask the court for custody of the child on the basis of this plea that the parent who enjoyed the custody of the child is in jail or is sentenced for imprisonment and in the best interest of childs future, can seek the childs full custody.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
249 votes

If u share the custody of the child with your spouse and the spouse is in jail or has absonded after being releasesed, you can move the family court for grant of custody of that child. Life and future of the child cannot be compromised with and the courts take really strong note of such things. You can file an application under relevant provisions of the guardianship and wards act in order to get the custody.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles