Custody of niece as sister died & her father doesn't take care

My elder sister got married in 2011. It was a love marriage with a boy of haridwar he was persuing his MBBS at shrinagar pauri garwal that time. They had a girl child in 2012. My sister die in 2015 still not confirm it was murder or suicide (case is filed against her husband) Since her daughter is living with me. My sister husband never introduced mother & daughter to his family member when my sister died that day his parents know that their son is married and having a girl child. they (grand parents) never seen child till date. And never ask for her. i am taking care after my sister's Child. I wants to take child custody. I am also married (Working women) and my husband are willing to keep child with us. Girl child don't wants to lives with her father. He never care for her.

Answers (3)

94 votes

not a problem at all. you can file for custody of child and annex the relevant papers. this is the best option as I don't feel your late sister's husband would be willing to let you adopt the child. However if he is, then you can adopt the child.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

156 votes

Madam no worry just keep the kid with you. And by the death certificate of the sister you and your husband can go to the area sub registrar office and take legal adoption of the kid . Make your parents and the in laws the evidence for the same .

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience
329 votes

Welfare of the child is Paramount consideration in such matters.lAs the child is in your custody for long time I don't see any Major problem you will face in getting custody.However her father has right to visitation & temporary custody for 10 to 15 days.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I had a verbal disagreement with my wife and she called her mother and brother at home. the next date they took her and my child forcibly. i objected …

Read More

My wife given birth to a baby girl and she was died with a,who will get the custody rights,grand parents (in-laws) or father?…

Read More

The situation is that divorce is about to be finalised as exparte divorce as the other party did not show up in the court despite receiving notices. W…

Read More

I'm an India national currently reside in the UK. My wife and 6-year old daughter lives along with me in the UK too. Our permanent home is in Noid…

Read More